(NOTE - For the latest developments from every motherboard maker on this developing recall please see this PCSTATS article - Intel 6-Series Chipset Recall - Sandy Bridge Intel P67 & H67) GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY has received an official announcement from Intel indicating the Intel 6-Series chipset design error and has implemented a silicon fix. Codenamed Cougar Point, these chipsets will in some cases cause the Serial-ATA (SATA) ports within the chipsets to degrade over time, potentially impacting the performance or functionality of SATA-linked devices such as hard disk drives and DVD-drives.
As the No.1 motherboard manufacturer, GIGABYTE will make its best effort to recall boards that were built on the mentioned chipsets from our distributors with minimum disruptions.
As of today, we have suspended the entire 6 Series B2 stepping chipset based motherboards shipments. According to Intel’s production schedule, the 6 Series B3 stepping Express Chipset will be available in volume by April. GIGABYTE will then, based on this shipping schedule, produce new motherboard models with the new B3 stepping.
1. GIGABYTE has stopped shipping and selling all Intel 6 Series B2 stepping chipset based motherboards.
2. All the Intel 6 series B2 stepping based motherboards stocks are being retrieved from all distributors and dealers.
3. Any sold GIGABYTE Intel 6 Series B2 stepping chipset based motherboards should be returned and accepted from authorized Gigabyte dealers.
4. The new B3 stepping chipset should be available toward the end of February. GIGABYTE will work with Intel closely to make the new motherboards become available to customers sometime in April.
5. GIGABYTE will introduce a brand-new 6 Series motherboard line based on the Intel 6 Series B3 stepping chipset.
Gigabyte requests all dealers stop selling B2 stepping 6-series chipset based motherboards, and assist customers in choosing the normal SATA 3.0 connector to avoid SATA 2.0 problems for the time being.